Please notify me if you are aware of contact name changes
Area Scandinavian Social Groups
- Norwegian Heritage Society, Lawrence KS – They focus on the Norwegian culture but embrace other Scandinavian cultures as well. The annual Nordic Heritage Festival http://ksnordicfest.com/ has retired after 12 successful years. Renewed interest and organizational help can revive the festival or a revised version. Contact Byron Wiley at 785-843-7535 for more information.
- The Scandinavian Association of Greater Kansas City – Contact Henrik Andersen 913-206-1738. They have a Facebook page.
- Danish Brotherhood in America Denmark Lodge#56, Kansas City – Contact Dean & Barbara Larsen 913-642-5884
- Sons of Norway, Kansas City – Contact Vern Knutson – email@example.com 913-492-2049
- Scandinavian Women’s Society, Kansas City – Contact Carla Hanson 913-268-1620 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Icelandic Association in Kansas City – Contact Vilborg Petursson 913-685-0821
- Vasa order of America, local lodge Facklan #248 (Swedish), Kansas City – Contact Kenna Bassett 913-236-5963
- Scandinavian Society of Wichita KS – Contact Raymond & Margaret Nelson 316-722-4174
- Olsburg, Kansas – Olsburg Lutheran Church Swedish Supper. Call (785) 468-3341 for more information.
Area Dance Groups
- Scandinavian Folk Dancers of Kansas City – Contact Tom Jongling 816-444-4253 email@example.com They meet on Tuesday evening for dance practice from 7 – 9:00 at Immanuel Lutheran, 1700 Westport Road. No partners necessary, all levels welcome.
- Scandinavian Dancing in Lawrence – check our upcoming events page for the next scheduled dance.
- The Lindsborg Folkdanslag (folk dance group) – Contact Duane & Nancy Fredrickson 785-227-3678, Lindsborg, KS.
- Omaha Scandinavian Folk Dancers – They meet most Wednesdays at the Scandinavian American Societies Building at 7575 Crown Point in Omaha. http://omahafolk.8m.com/scandinavian.html Contact Jim Solheim 402-393-6108 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ozark Scandinavian Society of Springfield MO – Contact Art & Anne Lindeman 417-862-1682
- International Folkdancers, Lawrence – Contact Craig Paul 371-4613
- Scandinavian dancing in St. Louis – http://www.stlouisfolkdance.org/
- Contra dance – The Lawrence Barn Dance Association http://www.lawrencebarndance.org and links to other area contra dances http://www.kansasfolk.org/contra/
- English Country Dance in Lawrence – http://www.jeromegrisanti.com/lawrenceecd.htm
- Grapevine International Folk Dancers – Manhattan and regional dance information. http://www.grapeviner.com/
- Genealogy – The best resource in our area is the Mid Continent Library in Independence MO. www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/branch/ge/
- Lawrence Folk – a developing project to create a functional facility to meet the needs of various community organizations. http://www.lawrencefolk.org/ Many community folklife resources are listed http://www.lawrencefolk.org/resources/local-community-organizations
- Kansas Folkmusic and Dance Resource – This is an excellent site with links to local folk music concerts, dances and other items of interest. http://www.kansasfolk.org/index.html
- Americana Music Academy – 1419 Massachusetts, Lawrence, KS 66044 – 7855-830-9640 http://www.americana-music.org/index.html Their mission is to teach, promote and support the advancement of all forms of American music and its influences, and to pass on the grand traditions of American-based roots music to future generations.
- Lawrence Arts Center – http://www.lawrenceartscenter.com/
- Byron Wiley, Lawrence KS – Byron is a national and international resource for Scandinavian music and dance (many resources can be found on this site). He offers instruction in Swedish fiddle, and is always interested in playing with folks interested in this music. He is also interested in fruit trees, gardening etc. He plays for dances and other occasions with Ingevalds Spelmän 785-841-2829 or
Local Festivals & Music Venues
- Lawrence Folk – Resource link page for local folklife related activities http://www.lawrencefolk.org/resources/local-community-organizations
- The Nordic Heritage Festival http://ksnordicfest.com/ After 12 successful years, this festival has been retired for now. Contact Byron Wiley 841-2829 for more information.
- Ethnic Enrichment Festival – Held every August in Swope Park in Kansas City http://eeckc.net
- Kansas Fiddling and Picking – Lawrence based folk music event http://www.fidpick.com/
- Tuesday Concert Series by Larry Carter at Signs of Life Coffee Shop, Bookstore & Art Gallery. – http://www.tuesdayconcert.com/
- West Side Folk – a wide variety of amazing artists are featured http://www.westsidefolk.org/